A few documents must be sent to AQHA to transfer an American Quarter Horse's ownership.
When transferring a horse's ownership, you'll need:
- A completed transfer report form or signed bill of sale stating the horse’s registered name and/or number, the date of sale and signed by the record owner on file with AQHA.
- The original certificate of registration.
More helpful tips when transferring a horse:
- Before you purchase an American Quarter Horse, it’s always a good idea to ensure that the seller has the original certificate of registration and signs a transfer report or bill of sale stating the horse’s registered name and/or number.
- Verify that the horse’s markings match the certificate of registration.
- Contact the AQHA Member Experience Team to make sure that the person you’re purchasing the horse from is the owner on record or authorized to sign paperwork for the owner.
- To verify ownership, you can request the “Master Registration w/ All Owners & Pedigree” record for the horse via AQHA Services by following the steps below:
- Log in to your account on AQHA.com.
- Access the Member Services portal and click on “Free Records” in the Records section.
- Use the drop-down menu under “Record Name” and select “Master Registration w/ All Owners & Pedigree”.
- Input the horse’s registration number or click on the magnifying glass to search by registered name.
- Fill in your email if it is not already populated and click “submit.”