A few documents must be sent to AQHA to transfer an American Quarter Horse's ownership.
When transferring a horse's ownership, you'll need:
- A completed transfer report form or signed bill of sale.
- The original certificate of registration.
More helpful tips when transferring a horse:
- Before you purchase an American Quarter Horse, it’s always a good idea to ensure that the seller has the original registration certificate as well as a transfer report.
- Contact AQHA Customer Service to make sure that the person you’re purchasing the horse from is the owner on record or authorized to sign paperwork for the owner
- To double-check ownership, you can purchase an ownership record for the horse via AQHA Services.
Common transfer questions: