How do I transfer an American Quarter Horse without papers?

A duplicate certificate needs to be ordered before transferring a horse whose original registration certificate was lost.

In order to transfer ownership without the original registration certificate, a duplicate certificate will need to be ordered. Fill out the duplicate certificate order form here and submit it to AQHA.

The last recorded owner, according to AQHA records, will need to complete Part 1. In addition, Part 2 should be completed by the individual who lost or destroyed the certificate of registration, if different than the owner of record. You will need to submit four pictures of the horse showing the front, back and both side views, with the completed form to process the request.

The fee for a duplicate certificate is $50 if the buyer is a member and $105 for nonmembers (this price includes a one-year membership). The transfer report fee is $25, in addition to the duplicate certificate fee.